Getting your pack list prepared well in advance of setting off is probably one of the best things you can do right from the off. I made my decision to leave the country back in January, and since February I’ve been updating a pack list and purchasing items from the list as I go.
So far I’ve come up with the below. I’m yet to decide on clothing, so that will come into it closer to the date.
- Clothes and Shoes
- First Aid & Prescriptions – Make sure you stock up on any prescriptions you may need before leaving as the county you’re going to might not have the same kind of cost/service as your own. Australia’s healthcare is notoriously expensive so I’m hoarding whatever I can before I go.
- eReader & books – I’ve got hundreds of ebooks already stored on my eReader, and currently plan to take one or two paperbacks with me for the beach
- Chargers – Mostly usb cables to fit into my plug charger
- Passport, vaccination book, I.D.
- Insurance and Visa Documents
- Travel Pillow – I looked into the best one to choose and decided that a 2 in 1 would be good, with a loop to attach it to my bag. In the end I went with this one – http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007REVRGI
- Ziploc bags – Great for keeping belongings dry and away from creepy spiders!
- Microfibre Towel – Light and dries quickly. I chose this two pack so my boyfriend had one – http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00OXS67M0
- Number padlock – I chose this one for a colour to stand out from the crowd, and ALWAYS chose a number one ‘cause it’s no good have a key padlock then losing the key for it… http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003KIUKMC
- Ipod – My phone doesn’t have enough space for music (it’s kinda old!), so I decided to buy a 2nd hand ipod nano. That way I have music on the go, but can also change it every so often with my external hard drive of music and my netbook. I went for a 7th generation nano from ebay. I found that if it’s an auction finishing midweek you’re more likely to get a slight price reduction to the auctions finishing on the weekend. I managed to get mine for £65.
- Make up & Remover
- Nail Clippers
- Adapters – 2 should be suffice
- Toothbrush & Paste
- Travel Guides – I’ve read through the guides already so might just write up notes from these/take pictures, and leave them behind.
- Notebook & Pen – Always good to have a pen handy, but I might leave the notebook.
- Camera & SD Card
- Travel Money – Just to start me off. I should have a bank card soon after getting there.
- Sewing Kit – Something many people have said would be useful to have but I might just leave.
What’s missing? I’ll be revising the list again at the end of May.